Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Google+ for all the cool kids...

Another day another social networking site. That is what it seems like to me. After hearing a lot of buzz about Google's latest entry I had to try it out. I have to say the little I have seen of it I really like.

It feels like a cross between Facebook and Twitter with advantages and disadvantages of both. For me the idea of circles works really well. One of the things I dislike about Facebook is people sending me friend requests that I really do not want to see some of my posts. Yes, I could make changes to try and eliminate them from seeing things but Circles is so much easier. Just drag and drop people into whatever circles you like, including multiple ones, and then post items to just those people. So easy.

I am a big Twitter fan, but there are two big things I don't like about it--a limit of 140 characters and not being able to edit my tweets. Google+ eliminates both of those drawbacks. Like Twitter lists, circles does the same filtering for me to limit what I read. The only drawback so far to Google+ over Twitter is it is easier to search for subjects at the moment in Twitter. I am sure Google will soon rectify that.

I have to say that after just a couple of days of playing around with Google+ I am a fan. I thought Buzz had potential, but this can be so much more. I have never been a big fan of Facebook so I can see my dropping that quickly or at least not bothering to log in very often to see the few people I am friends with who won't transfer over to Google+.

Only time will tell how things play out. Something tells me this time Google is in it for the long haul unlike with Buzz and Google Wave. Which is fine by me...

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics