Thursday, March 31, 2011

New York Times and paywalls

So the New York Times has decided to add a paywall to their website. Is this really such a big deal? And for every online post I read about why this is a bad idea I read another one on how to get around the paywall. Again, why is this such a big deal? I had the NYTimes app on my phone and would regularly check it for news and book reviews. It was a nice app and I appreciated the content. So will I pay for it now? Of course not.

The New York Times has every right to charge for access to their site. They are a business and have to make money to survive. I have no problems at all with that. Now it is the choice of the consumers if they want to pay for the content they used to get for free. And yes I know that a certain amount of access on their site will continue to be free. For me it is an easy choice. There is plenty of other outlets that offer free news and book reviews so I see no reason to pay for the NYTimes.

The price is the other issue here. For online content they are asking for quite a bit of money. Here is a nice chart showing their cost for content versus other online sites. It really is ridiculous. But if that is what they want to charge for information that I can easily get from other sources for free that is their choice. It is my choice to say no thanks. Which is why I already deleted their app from my phone. Bye bye New York Times.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics